Please read all of the information on this page before applying.
Hope Connection 2.0 is a therapeutic weekend camp for vulnerable children and their families. Derived from The Hope Connection, the original TBRI summer camp created by Dr. Karyn Purvis and Dr. David Cross in the late 1990’s, Hope Connection 2.0 is designed to meet the needs of the entire family, from parents, to adopted children, to adoptive siblings. Families will learn to better connect with one another, understand and meet physical needs, and regulate behavior in the context of loving relationship. Additionally, the Purvis Institute will collect data during each camp for research purposes.
The Karyn Purvis Institute of Child Development at Texas Christian University is conducting research to examine the effectiveness of a therapeutic family camp intervention for adoptive families. This study is examining whether a therapeutic family camp intervention improves a) the trauma-related emotional and behavioral problems of children who are adopted, b) the relationship between them and their siblings and parents, and c) the overall functioning of the family system.
You and your family will be asked to complete online assessments at multiple time points pre- and post-camp, attend two camp weekends, and complete audio-recorded interviews post-camp. Parents will also complete online pre-training and a relationship interview before attending camp. This involves approximately 40-45 hours over a one-year period. Participation will take place at Texas Christian University. Risks involved in this research are minimal.
The cost of attending camp is $495. Families will receive gift cards at each assessment period post-camp: $25 (1 week post-camp), $25 (3-month follow-up), $25 (6-month follow-up), and $25 (1-year post-camp).
Please call 817-257-7415 or
email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
IRB # 1809-016-1810
Texas Christian University
TCU does not discriminate based upon any protected status. Please see
Fall 2020 Cohort:
September 25 – 27
October 23 – 25
Families must attend both weekends of their respective cohort.
Logistics & Cost:
- Cost is $495 per family
- Cost includes TBRI materials, parent training, camp supplies, meals and snacks
- Camp will take place on the Texas Christian University Campus in Fort Worth, TX
- Families are responsible for any lodging arrangements and costs incurred
- Family must have a relationship with a TBRI Practitioner. This means you must have someone in your life (e.g. caseworker, support group leaders, social worker) who is a TBRI Practitioner and can support you in using TBRI strategies after camp.
- The “target” child is domestically or internationally adopted
- Target child will be between the ages of 6 – 12 by September 25, 2020
- Target child has been officially adopted into your family for at least one year by September 25, 2020.
- All members of your family living at home are able to participate in both camp weekends for your assigned cohort
- All family members are willing to be videotaped and photographed during camp
- All family members are willing to participate in research, i.e., each member completes online assessments at multiple times pre and post camp and family members are willing to complete post-camp audio-recorded interviews
- Both parents are willing to complete a criminal background check
- Both parents are willing to complete online pre-training before attending camp
Fall 2020 Cohort
|March 30, 2020||Application Open|
|April 13, 2020||Application Deadline|
|April 27 - May 1, 2020||Family Phone Screening Interviews|
|May 1, 2020||Official Acceptance Notice|
|May 4 - 18, 2020||Assessment Packet Completion Period|
|August 17 - 31, 2020||Pre-Assessment Packet Completion Period|
|September 2 - October 9, 2020||Parent Online Pre-Training Completion Period|
|October 9 - 11, 2020||Camp Weekend 1|
|November 13 - 15, 2020||Camp Weekend 2|
|November 30 - December 14, 2020||Post-Assessment Packet Completion Period|
|February 22 - March 8, 2021||3-Month Follow-up Packet Completion Period|
|May 17 - 31, 2021||6-Month Follow-up Packet Completion Period|
|November 1 - 15, 2021||1-Year Follow-up Packet Completion Period|
Applications for the Fall 2020 Cohort will open on March 30, 2020.